Monday, February 14, 2011

To All My Friends Who Inspire Me



I notice Facebook now has a spot for inspirational people and yes I was quick to fill in all the various people who inspire me. I’m not going to lie I find some of Pema Chodron’s writing very inspiring and I have a huge soft spot for Carl Roger’s and some various other people I have never actually met. It seems so easy to see the “good “qualities in these people and delight in all the attributes that make them special to me. I mean it’s nice to be able enjoy these people and whatever talents they have and share with us. Perhaps for some people it is a musician, an actress, a chef, writer or activist that inspires them in some way or perhaps some of you are inspired by no one at all.

At any rate it got me thinking or over thinking as many things often do about how easy it can be to appreciate the beauty in these people but fail to see the greatness that lies in the hearts of our friends, neighbours and even in ourselves.  Perhaps it is easier to idealize the people we have never met because we don’t have to deal with their darker sides first hand. Perhaps we might read about some of their problems but we never have to come face to face with them.  Plus we don’t ever really have to give them (okay for the most part unless you’re buying some of their stuff) anything in return.

Anyway my thoughts/questions surrounding this topic was can we get so caught up in admiring the people we have never met that  we forget the gems standing right beside us. Also do we often overlook some of these wonderfully inspiring qualities that are alive inside of ourselves? Taking this even a step further down my train of thought do we sometimes place more value on the words of these strangers then our own experiences?  Do we even put more value on these people’s words/talents then the people around us who, may have similar talents/ experiences/and knowledge just because of their fame? Do we put greater value on all their truths/skills then we do on our own and others? Do we trust things we read over things we have lived?Of course there is value in these people and delighting in whatever it is their gift has to offer but can’t true wisdom, insight and skill come from many places? What is it that gets us all caught up in seeing them as so much better?

 For example I remember there was a video circulating about a year ago of a famous musician who went out and played for free in the subway, well nobody even gave him a second look. Later that same night people where paying tones of money to see the same person playing the same music that they just walked by earlier.  Now that people knew this man’s name and because he was famous did that make his music so much more valuable then when he was just a nameless man playing in the street? Why are we so convinced that these people we have never met have so much more wisdom, skill or whatever then the people standing right beside us?  Furthermore why do we often fail to see our own beauty, talent and wisdom and only see these things in others.

Anyways I know we sometimes seek out these people because they have talents we wish we had, or perhaps we feel they offer a fresh idea /perspective we feel we are missing, or maybe what they offer helps to further us down our journey somehow. But all I really wanted to get at especially on this day of love (if you’re into that sort of thing) is don’t forget to look within you and all around you to because inspiration exists in many forms and inspiring people are all around us.

So I would like to give a shout out all the wonderfully inspiring people in my life who I sometimes forget to give the full props they deserve. I know so many wonderful people who are out in the community seeking to bring about change and working tirelessly to help others.  I have much love for those who fallow their heart and their bliss. I admire all those who know they have made a “wrong” turn in life and have the courage to turn around. I give a shout out to those who trust in their own experience and have confidence in themselves.  To those who are dedicated to their families, who take care of their fellow man, to those take care of and are dedicated to their fur babies and all the little creatures of the world.  I am inspired by those who live passionately but maybe that’s the same as following your heart. I have great love for those who listen to others and look beyond pushing their own agendas. To the compassionate, the empathetic, to the bold, brilliant, independent, free thinkers I know, much love to you all.

 You are all marvelous and I am grateful for you all and all the ways you have added to my life!  So even though I may not always show my appreciation please know that it is there.  And even though my list of inspirational people is chalked full of the names of people I have never met be sure to know you are on there also if only in my heart.  

No comments:

Post a Comment